Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OSB plywood

Posted by jgeter (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 13:10

Opinions on using 3/4 in. OSB instead of plywood for my shop floor instead of plywood. I my be putting sheet vinyl over it to make cleaning easier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OSB plywood

OSB has no internal voids, unlike plywood. Advantech is a premium OSB flooring that says if used with polyurethane adhesives during install provide superior floor strengths. Might be a benefit if you have heavy shop equipment.

o

OSB is used all the time for sub-floors. It is really cheap right now as well.

o

My only question would be if the OSB is smooth enough to accept vinyl. Isn't the usual procedure to use luan and then fill screw/nail holes and seams before laying the vinyl?

Mike

o

OSB, pressboard and luan plywood are not an acceptable substrates for ceramic tile according to the NTCA because of their tendendancy to swell when wet causing the tile to fail.

The Resilient Floor Covering Institute, a trade association that represents manufacturers of vinyl sheet-flooring and tiles, recommends plywood as an underlayment material and only accepts OSB as a subfloor material. This is because of the high potential for edge swelling of OSB which can be telegraphed through the flooring product. Many resilient flooring manufacturers will not guarantee their product over OSB.

The best substrate is "underlayment grade" plywood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here