Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgeter_gw

OSB plywood

jgeter
17 years ago

Opinions on using 3/4 in. OSB instead of plywood for my shop floor instead of plywood. I my be putting sheet vinyl over it to make cleaning easier.

Comments (4)

• formulaross
    17 years ago

OSB has no internal voids, unlike plywood. Advantech is a premium OSB flooring that says if used with polyurethane adhesives during install provide superior floor strengths. Might be a benefit if you have heavy shop equipment.

• ttfweb
    17 years ago

OSB is used all the time for sub-floors. It is really cheap right now as well.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    17 years ago

My only question would be if the OSB is smooth enough to accept vinyl. Isn't the usual procedure to use luan and then fill screw/nail holes and seams before laying the vinyl?

Mike

• mightyanvil
    17 years ago

OSB, pressboard and luan plywood are not an acceptable substrates for ceramic tile according to the NTCA because of their tendendancy to swell when wet causing the tile to fail.

The Resilient Floor Covering Institute, a trade association that represents manufacturers of vinyl sheet-flooring and tiles, recommends plywood as an underlayment material and only accepts OSB as a subfloor material. This is because of the high potential for edge swelling of OSB which can be telegraphed through the flooring product. Many resilient flooring manufacturers will not guarantee their product over OSB.

The best substrate is "underlayment grade" plywood.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler