Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension

Posted by brian_nb (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 12:42

I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension for my 8 foot X 16 foot insulated steel door.

I was able to get the auto-reverse function working with a 2X4 in the door's path. The sensors work with an obstruction - preventing the door from moving.

The problem I have is the door will not open all the way. For example, it does open to about 6 feet and I have adjusted the uplift setting to maximum but it doesn't make any difference. I was wondering if I need to do something else to get the motor to lift this taller door.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension

When you installed the opener with the 8ft rail, did you use the new chain and cable that came with the extension kit? If you used the existing chain and cable it is only good for a 7 ft door, that is possibly why the door only opens about 6 ft. You need to use the chain and cable that comes with the extension kit. to fully open the door.

o

The longer rail for the eight foot door eats up another foot of chain, so only opening to six feet makes sense, if the original chain was used.

o

If he bought a track extension and installed it, that moves the motor unit back a foot to accomodate the 8 foot high door. The original chain would not fit and would be impossible to install.
I think what most likely happened here is you had the carriage assembly in the wrong position on the T rail when you installed the chain around the sprocket. (timeing is off)

Run the motor unit until the door opens to it's fullest height. Now, loosen off chain so you can slip the chain OFF the sprocket. Using just your hands, pull the chain to move the carriage assembly back towards the motor unit until the door is in the fully open position. Now put the chain around the sprocket and tighten it up.
Now, the door is in the fully open position, and the motor unit "thinks" it is in the fully open position.
Push the button and let the door close as far as it will close. From that point, you will have to adjust your "down" limit switch appropriately.
Let us know how you make out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here