Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Barn-Like Floor Over Concrete?

Posted by jennifer1 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 5, 06 at 10:43

Hi.
We have a big detached garage with a concrete floor. I would like to put a wood floor over the concrete. I would like it to be like a barn floor. Has anyone ever done this sort of thing in a basement or garage? Also, what kind of wood is used besides genuine old barn wood? Old barn wood is highly expensive these days. Any suggestions or links to advice would be very appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Barn-Like Floor Over Concrete?

Yes, I have done it before.

Here is the overview:
- Put builder felt (tar paper) over the concrete.
- Then you put pressure treated "sleepers" on hte floor and nail them into the concrete using a 22 caliber power hammer (or drill and masonry bolts)
- You can either put the barn wood over this, or but some plywood down, then the barn-wood.

If you ahve moisture problems with the floor, don't do anything until that is resolved.

o
RE: Old Barn-Like Floor Over Concrete?

RaceDeck now makes a plastic garage tile that looks like a wood floor. They designed it for shops where people restore vintage cars and want it to look more authentic.
I think it looks pretty good and will be very sturdy. If you really want true barnwood though, this may not work for you.
When you click the link see the video from My Classic Car TV show.
Good luck,
Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: racedeck floor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here