Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door remote opens but wont shut door

Posted by Junky (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 9:51

I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model 1239.53675SRT2 with a wall opener, keypad remote and car remote. The door will always open and close with the wall opener. In the morning when I am leaving in the car the door will open with any of the 3 devices. I back the car out and then the 2 remotes will not work to close the door. If I reprogram or relearn the 2 remotes at that time then the 2 remotes work fine to close & open the door until the next morning when it all repeats where the 2 remotes will not close the door. It seems that the opener unit will not hold the remotes coding. Any ideas of what to try before I replace the whole unit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door remote opens but wont shut door

I checked the safety sensors on each side of the door and they both have a good steady green light so they are probably not part of the problem.

o

When the door wont close does it move at all? Do lights flash?

o

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. Nothing happens when I try to close the door from one of the 2 remotes. Door does not move, no lights flash. Its as if the system is dead. It takes me about a minute to reprogram the 2 remotes and then they can open/close the door until the next morning. For now I have removed the battery from the keypad remote to eliminate it from the problem. Something I will try in the morning is have the car remote open the door and then try to close it without the car passing through the safety sensors. If that works then I will open the door and back the car out and then see if it wont close the door. This might help to eliminate the safety sensors from the problem.

o

If the sensors were the problem the main light would flash 10 times. You have a very strange problem and I suspect the logic board. When you are having this problem does the door close alright with the wall control? You could also have a bad wall control or the wiring to it. You can eliminate this possibility by removing the wire from terminal #1 on the rear of the motor unit. Let me know what you find.

o

Yes the wall control has always work to open and close the door when the remotes did not. So this morning I used the car remote to open the door but the car remote would not close the door. I then disconnected the wall control. The car remote was able to close the door. Reopened the door with the car remote, backed car out and shut the door with the car remote. So it does appear to be something with the wall control. I will put in a simple door bell push button for the wall control to try to see if its the wall control itself of the logic board. What do you think Don?

o

Good idea. You are on the right track I think.

o

Replaced the wall control with a simple door bell push button. Can now open and close the door with the car remote and the door bell push button. I am going to replace the 2 capacitors in the wall control unit. I'm thinking the capacitor for the light control is bad and possible sending its signal as a lock command.

But now I can't program in the keypad remote. I don't get the opener light to flash like the manual says it should when trying to program the keypad using the learn button. After I have tried to program the keypad remote, when I enter the 4 number code and press enter the keypad lights flash for around 15 seconds as it sends out its signal.

o

Try this method.

Locate the smart/learn button on the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go. Press and immediately release this and then walk over to the keypad and key in any 4 digit code you like and press enter.

o

Yep that worked for getting the keypad remote working. Nothing in the manual about doing it that way. I will let you know if replacing the capacitors works on the wall control. Thanks for all your help Don.

o

Well the capacitors checked out OK in the wall control. Now the door bell push button appears to be disabling the remotes. I can use the remotes to open and close the door all day, but if I use the door bell push button to open the door then the remotes wont work close the door but the simple door bell push button will close the door. Sound like the circuit board in the opener is going flaky. Any other ideas Don?

o

I'm a little confused at this point because you talk about the bell push button and a wall control. Do you have them both hooked up? I don't think it is the circuit board that is causing the problem. When you use the bell push button your remotes won't work. I would remove the wire from terminal #1 on the back of the motor unit. This will eliminate both the wall control and the push button. Now you can momentarily short across terminals #1 and #2. This will be the same as using the push button. If your remotes don't work after doing this then you can suspect the circuit board but I think it is still somewhere in the wiring to the buttons or the wall control itself. I hope this isn't confusing.

o

The 3 button wall control was replaced by the bell push button to simplify the hard wired control system and in trying to eliminate the 3 button wall control from the problem. They are not both connected. I will try that short circuit idea to see if the wiring might be the problem. Thanks.

o

I did as you suggested by removing the wall control wire from the unit and shorting across the terminals to open the door. The remotes did not close the door. Door does not move, no lights flash. It seems that the whole situation is now back as described in my original post - Any of the 3 devices will open the door but only the wall control will close the door. What is really strange is every now and then the remotes will be able to close the door a few times and then not be able close the door for number of times. Kind of erratic behavior by the remotes.

o

At this point I think you have a bad logic board.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here