Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portable power station.

Posted by shawnbn (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 8:57

I want to build a portable power station that runs from a 240V extension cord to the panel that supplies several 120v outlets. Any Ideas and what would I need to complete this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portable power station.

I need this so I can use it around the workshop and in the yeard as needed

o

That's not going to work. A 240v circuit has two hots and a ground. 120v requires a hot, neutral, and ground.

You might want to post this in the electrical section for more suggestions.

o

• Posted by reg (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 13:47

Useful for me when im working.

Here is a link that might be useful: q-see

o

"That's not going to work. A 240v circuit has two hots and a ground. 120v requires a hot, neutral, and ground. "

You just need to run a 4 wire cord (hot, hot, neutral, ground).

Not a big deal at all, though the extra conductor and cost of the cord is liable to negate any advantage from using 240 V.

o

I could imagine the need for something like this if one was using two, high-draw 120v devices. Although it might be cheaper just to buy two extension cords, which would offer more flexibility.

I was just attempting to point out that for 120v one needs a neutral and a typical 240v circuit doesn't have that. Technically, I don't think you could make such a thing, at least from stuff found at the home center. If I'm not mistaken the components need to be rated for such use and cobbling together a x gang steel box isn't going to cut it. I don't know if something like that could be hardwired into the panel. Probably be a good idea to include GFI protection as well, especially if the cord is going to be used outdoors.

o

Equipment like this is actually common in industrial use.

If it is going to run hand tools than you can put GFCI receptqcles at the user end.

Any number of 4-conductor cordage is available (and even 5-conductors) since it is used in 3=phase work all the time.

It does have a lower sales volume, and is often hard usage cord making it rather expensive.

The plugs and sockets alone are also expensive (with twist locks being much preferred).

Some 50 foot #10 conductor 120 V cords would likely be cheaper in the long run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here