Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Odd Garage Door Problem

Posted by kjbock (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 8:49

For the last few months I've been having intermittant garage door opening problems. On some days when opening or closing, the door will just freeze and stop moving, sometimes near the top, bottom or mid-way. The opener light will start flashing and it will take several attempts at opening and closing for it to finally stop freezing at some point. Then the problem will go away for several days and suddenly come back again. I haven't tried checking the door balance, but the alignment sensors appear to be working fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Odd Garage Door Problem

If the main lights flash when the door is closing and the door reverses to the open position it is a sensor problem. Check the sensors very closely for the slightest flicker. Tweak them just a bit. This is almost always the reason for an intermittent problem. This is also a problem that can occur only when the door is closing. If the door stops on the way up increase the 'up force'. You will find this control on the rear of the opener. Do not increase the 'down force'.

o

Thanks for the follow-up Don. For more information, the main lights don't always flash when the door stops. It never reverses course when it freezes. It just stops and doesn't go any further.

If I increase the 'up force', what would be the cause for the door to freeze when closing? Could all of this be occurring due to the door springs being out of balance?

o

I think you hit the nail. It sure sounds like your door is out of balance or has hardware problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here