Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete in a bucket?

Posted by sdrawkcab (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 8:49

I am hoping to mount a bench grinder in my garage but I don't want to give up counter space on my workbench. I'm looking for ideas for other ways to mount it. An idea i had was a mounting it to he top of a 4x4 post set in a bucket of concrete but I'm not sure if this would be too unstable? I know they make pedistal mounts for bench grinders but I rent and I am not supposed to drive nails/screws into the garage floor. short of building another workbench, are there any good ways to mount a bench grinder?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete in a bucket?

mount it on a board, mount the board on the side of the bench with hinges. When in use swing it up on the bench top, when not using it swing it down, if the bench is hollow on the end the motor and wheels will hang under the bench top.

o

Or, if you don't want to hinge it, what about drilling 3-4 bolt holes through the mounting board and your work bench. then put it on top, and slide the bolts through to keep it in place.

Not sure what a pedestal/cement bucket saves in space over a workbench, btw.

o

There is a hinged contraption for kithen-aid mixers that lowers them into the base cabinet and brings them up to countertop height. That might work because them little mixers are heavy so the contraption should be too.

o

Get an old 10 inch or 11 inch brake drum or disk rotor, the bigger the better. Weld a 2 or 3 inch pipe to the center of the drum. weld a plate on top of the pipe. drill
holes and mount your grinder. i have 3. works like a charm.
your grinder is heavier than your stand. It is stable to a point. If your doing heavy grinding put your foot on the drum to hold it. the pipe will pull out of the concrete in time unless you drill holes in it or pin it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here