Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage won't open completely

Posted by michaelandniki (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 17, 06 at 8:29

It's raining, I have 2 weeks worth of trash to take out, and my garage door opens about 3 inches, then stops. If I push the button again, it goes down. The process repeats. We no longer have a key to unlock the manual release, and since we're trying to sell this house, we really don't want to invest in a new garage door. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage won't open completely

Sounds like you may have a broken door spring. The most common springs are either directly above the door or along each side. You should be able to assist the door while it is opening to get your trash out. Be very careful if you close the door because if the spring is broken it is going to be very heavy. Another thing you can check is the drive gear. If it has stripped it can cause this problem. You need to take the cover off and look around the front of the motor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here