Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeybags

Need a new garage opener remote, I think (Craftsman)

mikeybags
17 years ago

Before the message...I posted this in the Home Repair section as well, so sorry about posting on 2 different forums. I was lost in navigating these at first, and found the garage one after already posting on the other one.

----------------------

I just moved into a house, and it had a craftsman garage door opener, model 139.53637SRT. There were no remotes for it, but I happened to have one from another place I lived, and the Model # for that is 139.53681 (and it has blue buttons). I've tried programming it to work with the opener, and have had no luck. When I press the receiever code button, instead of flashing once (like it says it will on the instructions located on the opener), the green light turns on and stays on for a while. I'm assuming this just means that my remote is not transmitting for whatever reason, and that it's not receieving anything from it, but I could be wrong.

I did recently replace the batteries in the remote, because it hadn't been used in about 3 years before breaking it back out, so I figured when it didn't work that they were dead. Still no luck though.

What I'm wondering is...which remotes will be compatible with my opener, assuming that it is not broken itself? I'm looking for the cheapest option, and have found plenty of cheap ones on ebay. There are universal type brands like Clicker and liftmaster available, as well as many different types of craftsman options. Do I have to find a certain model number craftsman remote to get this to work, or should this be easy to replace?

I'd appreciate any advice. I know practically nothing about this, aside from what I read on these forums thanks to a google search, and with all of the different model #'s out there, I find myself very confused.

Thanks!

Mikeybags