Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Manual Garage Door Lock

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 21:17

I found the lock missing right after the tenant moved out. I tried searching online to see if I could find the exact parts, yet I have not had luck.

This house was built in 1995, which is not too old. It uses manual lock for the garage door. From the street, you see the cylinder key hole thing. Not far from and above it is the slender latch. From outside, you have to insert the key and turn, which unlocks the latch. Then, you have to turn the latch that controls the long horizontal bars on both sides inside the garage door. When it's locked, the two bars extend through holes of metal on both sides where the door contacts. When the latch is turned, the spring mechanism makes the two bars go towards the center and overlap each other. The bars are out of the holes, so the door can be opened.

From inside, the box that's directly the opposite of the cylinder key hole from outside houses the mechanism connecting to the latch. Once the key is turned from outside, you can see the mechanism in the box pushing upwards to unlock the latch. Thus, the box and the latch have to be working together in order to have the door lock to work. However, I don't see any stores online selling the box with the mechanism that pushes upward to unlock the latch. It's been 2 years, and I don't really remember what every part look like. Whatever I describe is from my memory. I could be wrong.....

Can anyone help me please? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Manual Garage Door Lock

Some pictures I took for the lock

from Outside:

from inside:
The bottom part (the box) is missing. The thing that sticks out has to connect to some kind of spring or mechanism that triggers the latch on the top.

o
RE: Old Manual Garage Door Lock

Googleing the manufacturer, Clopay, I got their website which includes a look-up feature for dealers. Give that a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: CLOPAYDOOR.COM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here