Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtbeak

Craftsman 139.53964SRT Down Force Setting

gtbeak
15 years ago

Recently my garage door opener began auto-reversing about 1/4 of the way to closing. To remedy the problem I increased the setting of the downward force from 2 to 4. However, I know that this is only masking the symptom. There is an actual problem somewhere. Can anyone speculate on what the root cause problem might be? The reversing occurs when a new section of the door begins to move downward.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• sierragaragedoor1971
    15 years ago

Your owner's manual should state that with seasonal weather changes, it may require an adjustment. So, increasing the down force isn't exactly "masking a problem" per say.

The tracks could be adjusted a little too closely to the jambs, causing unnecessary friction, kicking the door back. This is kind of a catch-22. You want the door to sit closely against the jamb to maximize your protection from the outside elements, but not too closely that it causes paint to rub off, or the door to not function properly.

When was the last time you lubricated your door hardware? What did you lube it with?

• gtbeak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately I have no owner's manual, and have been unable to locate one. We have only been in this house 6 months, and the door was installed previous to this.

I have never lubricated the hardware. What would you suggest as a lubricant?

Is there a way to adjust hopw closely the tracks are to the jambs?

Thanks!

• mwilkinson
    15 years ago

I've got the same problem with my garage door. Have you found a solution to the problem?

• sierragaragedoor1971
    15 years ago

I apologize, but before I got started last, I assumed you had a steel sectional, "overhead" style door. Is that correct? If so, read on. If not, please let me know.

Although it would be nice to have the owner's manual, I wouldn't spend any money on replacing it. Most problems can be solved over the web or with a quick phone call to Chamberlain's technical support hotline.

If you go to www.Liftmaster.com you can browse through owner's manuals for similar models, read FAQ's, and even find a local authorized repair dealer in your area.

In the field we use a non-silicone based spray lube. Any spray lubricant should be fine, just don't use WD-40 - It's a solvent not a lubricant.

Spray the axles on all the hinges (both where the rollers are at and all across the back of the door), the end bearing plates, and a light dusting on the spring(s). You don't need to spray inside the tracks.

Test your door's balance. Pull the emergency/manual release. Pull the door half way up (about waist high) and it should stay put. If the door sinks or slams down, or if it takes off and opens all the way the springs are out of adjustment. A novice should NEVER attempt to adjust their won torsion springs. They are VERY DANGEROUS. Call a professional. It's not worth a trip to the ER to save $60-100.

I don't know if I can recommend that you adjust your own tracks. Garage doors use simple mechanics however, they can also be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Try lubricating your door first, if that doesn't work, call a professional in your area to adjust your door and give it a "once over."