Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crazy garage door wood type!!!

Posted by sara0875 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 19:31

I NEED HELP FIGURING OUT WHAT KIND OF MATERIAL IS USED ON MY GARAGE DOOR. there are four panels that make up the garage door. each is made up of the following:

solid wood frame (on all four sides) of the panel

some kind of masonite that covers both sides of the frame making up the inside and outside faces of the panel.
and then...the crazy part... if cross section is cut, it looks like a honeycomb cardboard inside.

help!?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crazy garage door wood type!!!

Is there not a manufacturer's label anywhere on the door?

It is usually in an area that we refer to as the "end cap." It will be around on the side where the track is and could be on one or all of the panels.

o

i'll check the end caps. good idea!
all i have found, so far, were scribbled measurements on the top and bottom sides of the panels(in between the "folds").i can;t rememebr if i did look at the ends, though, so it's worth another glance. thanks for the idea!
also, i found it may fall under the category of COMPOSITE.

o

...some kind of masonite

A composite would be right. Essentially glue and wood fibers.

...if cross section is cut, it looks like a honeycomb cardboard inside.

Hollow core. The hollow part reduces weight and the amount of material needed to make the door. The honeycomb adds strength.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here