Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door won't reverse on hitting object

Posted by retire2 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 19:00

Installed a Craftsman 1/2 HP chain drive opener on a 8 foot wide by 7 foot high metal sectional door. The door will reverse at mid level if I grasp the door as it goes down. However, the light will not blink as it is supposed to according to the instructions. I have adjusted the down force to the max and it will not blink. At max force the door pushes up the track. I changed the max force back so that the door will reverse and the light will not blink. Now if I place the 2 x 4 on the floor and close the door the door will stop on the board and will not reverse. What should I do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door won't reverse on hitting object

What is the model number?

o

The model number is 139.53920DM.

o

The lights do not blink when the door meets an obstruction only when something breaks the beam between the door sensors. Back off the down force until the door will not close and then increase the down force only enough that the door will close consistently. If the door still doesn't reverse on the 2 x 4 and the opener is still in warranty call Sears. It doesn't matter that you installed it yourself.

o

On page 28 of the manual under the heading "How and when to adjust the forces" Item 1 (Test the DOWN force bullet 2 (If the door reverses during the down (close) cycle and the opener lights aren't flashing ...) I read this as the lights should flash. I increased the force in small increments until I reached the max limit and couldn't get the lights to flash.

Do you think the closer is defective or do you have any other suggestions?

o

You are reading it wrong. The door will reverse under two conditions. One is if the door meets an obstruction or the door is binding. It will simply reverse to the open position. The other is if there is something blocking the beam between the door sensors. The door will then reverse and the main light will flash 10 times. This helps with diagnosis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here