Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished Garage?

Posted by rivkadr (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 18:50

How many of you have a finished garage (i.e. drywall, paint, good electrical)? My husband and I are debating whether or not to do anything with our current garage. The house itself is over 50 years old -- the garage is dark, gloomy, and full of spiders. It's a place I avoid if I can help it :) We're planning on staying in this house for several years, so I'd personally like to have a garage that I didn't hate.

We're thinking of putting in insulation (we may eventually put our exercise equipment in the garage, if we have kids, since they'll get what is now the exercise room), drywall, painting, and putting lots of storage cabinets along the back wall and sides. In addition, my husband would love to have a nice workbench for all his tools (currently, there's a rickety splintery old table out there). We'd probably have to get a new garage door as well, since the current one is sort of jerryrigged into place, and we'd like to get rid of as much of the "jerryrigging" by the previous owner as possible (don't get us started on the electrical work he did; exposed wires are fun!)

Have any of you taken on a project of this scope? Are you glad you did it? Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished Garage?

Ours is insulated, drywalled, and trimmed at the door jambs. It looks nice. Extensive electrical.

We do lots of work in the garage tho, projects, hobbies, woodworking, construction.

We did it at our old house, and have since had opportunity to talk to the new owners. They're not home-improvers but they rave about it and how they can plug something in anywhere and they love the storage.

It's a great starter project, since if you screw anything up, you often can resort to "that's okay, it's just the garage" and learn how to do stuff well for when you do your kitchen or bath someday.

-mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here