Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make a portable shed taller?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 18:30

Hi,
We recently got a 6" lifted golf cart to ride around our property, since I'm having alot of trouble with my knees.
Its great. But we don't have a garage to keep it in. We do have a good cover for it, but would like to keep it even more protected in the winter.
I'm thinking of getting a ShelterLogic 10x10x8 portable shed. I've looked at alot of them, and this one seems to be the best for our needs. But......even though the peak is 8', the entry height is several inches too short for the roof on the golf cart to clear. (our roof is about 6'3").
I don't really want to cut the cart roof supports down.
Could I do this: Put cement blocks all the way around the bottom of the "shed" and attach the bottom steel bars to the blocks with bungee cords. This would lift it up enough for the golf cart to clear the opening.
But.....would it be stable in the wind? We could still somehow connect the tie-down anchors to the ground.
Does this sound reasonable? Any other suggestions?
Fortunately, its going to be between our shed and very tall pine trees, so it will be somewhat protected from the wind.
Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make a portable shed taller?

You could make a foundation of pressure treated 2x10s (or 2x6, 2x8 etc) on edge which are attached to the shed floor, with a 2x4 flange on the top edge to secure the shed onto.
I wouldn't use bungees, they don't make a good permanent installation.
You don't indicate what type of floor you are planning. That could make a difference on anchoring the shed.

o
RE: How to make a portable shed taller?

Thanks randy,
As it turns out, when we went to pick the shed up at Tractor Supply, we discovered (dimensions on the box that weren't on the internet) that it had a 6'3" entry.....so we're good, without having to raise it up at all.
Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here