Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Craftsman GDO Problem - Is it dead?

Posted by jds145 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 17:18

Hello. I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman Garage Door Opener Model Number 139.53675SRT2, installed in Jan. 1999. The GDO has stopped functioning. The door is in the closed position. When I try to open the door, either from a remote control or from a keypad, nothing happens. The 2 lights turn on (I infer this means there is power supplied to the motor), but there is nothing from the motor itself - no noise, no operation, no nothing. There is a small indicator light next to the "learn" button. That indicator light blinks repeatedly 5 times, and then stops, and then repeats the blinking. The door can be opened manually when I use the emergency release function, but the door opener will not operate even after manually opening the door.

I have searched other posts in this forum, and I have found others with similar problems. The suggested fix in many instances is to check whether the trolley is jammed by a stop bolt. However, that suggested fix seems to be inapplicable where, as here, the door is closed, not open. I cannot find any such bolt in any event anywhere near the trolley, so it is possible (perhaps likely) I'm missing something important here.

I appreciate any and all help. Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Craftsman GDO Problem - Is it dead?

That small LED blinking 5 times is the code for RPM sensor or motor overload as you may know. I would first take the cover off and look at the limit switch assembly. You can get a pretty good idea how this works just by studying it. I would almost suspect someone has mis-adjusted it but I could be wrong. Could be a bad motor also.

o

Thanks, Don. I'm not qualified to start doing internal stuff on the GDO. Is there somewhere I can find the equivalent of "Garage Door Openers for Dummies" to get enough basic knowledge to try what you suggest? Again, many thanks.

o

The limit swithches are not hard to miss take off the cover and stand directly under the opener and look up you will see them. If you are standing under the opener facing towards the garage door you will see two white knobs sticking out the left side. That is your limit switch assembly. I don't know of any garage door openers for dummies manuals, if so I would have read it by now.

Another option is to take the chain off the sprocket and hit the opener button and see if you have the same problem. By taking the chain off the sprocket you eliminate the trolley assembly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here