Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbumble

hinged garage doors

msbumble
15 years ago

I'm looking to replace my old carriage-type hinged garage doors with new ones. Online search results have shown manufacturers on the west coast, with the cost of shipping them here (NJ) $500. I don't even want to ask what the doors themselves cost. I'm on a budget. Do you know of any garage door manufacturers in the east who make these? Would I be better off having a carpenter build a pair? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. Can't use overhead doors.

Comments (3)

• donj317
    15 years ago

I have been looking for an answer to this question for over a year. In my case, I don't have enough height to use an overhead door. I have been priced over $3,000 for a pair of doors for a 6'8" by 8' opening. That does not include the jamb or installation, nor does it have gold inlay.

My hope is to use either cypress or PT pine for the framing and cover it with 3/4" cedar vertical siding. I would guess some sort of Z-buck or mortise/tenon would be needed for stability. I don't have the proper tooling for mortise/tenion but would be willing to hand tool it using drills and chisels. I have a drill press and believe that an attachment is available for the mortise. I could use my table saw and compound slide saw for the tenon.

Given that, is there any material that would guide me through the necessary steps? I might want to include a small amount of glass at the top of the doors. I have a lumber mill nearby that can provide the cypress for framing and someone who would run it through their planer.

Thanks for any suggestions and I don't think I hijacked this thread but rather added to it. I agree with the poster that most are on the West Coast, although I found one in PA, where I live, but the price is off the charts.

• jjandk
    14 years ago

We're doing a remodel and adding a "garden" garage on the basement level. Somewhere to store the mower and all the gardening tools so that maybe we can get a car or two into the regular garage.

I always planned to use carriage (hinged) type doors for this, but like Donj have found them hugely expensive to order and ship to Ky. I have a framer and a carpenter who are willing to build something, but we don't have any idea how to proceed. They need to be not too heavy and preferably insulated.

Has anyone out there built their own and how did you do it? I was thinking that a sturdy frame skinned with 1/4" ply and the void filled with those foam sheets of insulation would work. I'd fit in a row of windows too. Carpenter doesn't think it would be rigid enough. I definitely need help with this.

Also can't use an overhead door as we ran duct work across the ceiling for the family room addition above.

Sandy

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Make as much of the door as possible using torsion box construction.
    It is very light and extremely strong.

Be sure to use a waterproof glue, since some moisture will get through even the best finish.