Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
housavvy

What's the best place to get a garage door opener?

housavvy
15 years ago

I have been looking around, and am amazed at the high prices. Even the one at Costco is $150. I got one on a sale at Lowes a few years ago for $79, but they are expensive now. I don't know a lot about them. Which one should I get?

Comments (4)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

if you are replacing an existing one DIY, then get the same basic style so you don't have to change out everything. so if you have chain drive now, get a chain drive. if you have belt or screw, get that kind. easiest change out is if you buy the exact same brand as you had usually.

avg price is around 150, so either it has been a long time ago or you got are real el cheapo model for 79.

• sierragaragedoor1971
    15 years ago

$79??? Wow! That was either a really long time ago or a close out or out-of-the-box special. I haven't seen DIY products that low in over 5 years.

I would recommend you stick with a Chamberlain/Liftmaster/Accessmaster/Craftsman machine (all divisions of Chamberlain Group).

What model would depend on what features you want/need, how long you plan on staying in the house, and budget.

What is currently installed really won't affect the installation of a new machine. All the parts have to be replaced anyway, so there is not cost or time savings from that standpoint.

Chain Drive - generally revered as "Contractor Series" models - Great if you are in the process of selling or if budget is your #1 concern.

Screw Drive - great middle of the line machine. Least amount of moving parts.

Belt Drive - The best (for the most part). Very quiet and less temperamental with weather changes.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

All the parts have to be replaced anyway, so there is not cost or time savings from that standpoint

why is that? i have replaced both openers at my house and ALL i changed was the openers themselves. the rails/chains/sensors/switches are still the original ones. the new ones that came with the new openers are in a abox in my shop. been 4 years now since the change and they both work just fine. i did replace with the same opener though.

• sierragaragedoor1971
    15 years ago

When you buy a new machine (from a dealer, COSTCO, Sears, wherever) the rail, chain/belt, sensors, and switches all come in the box. I guess if you wanted to keep the other parts are "back-up" then fine, but you already paid for the parts anyway, why not replace them all new?

If you really want to save time/money, then I would call the manufacturer of your existing machine and order a new power-head.