Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to: Shelving for a Garage Project

Posted by Banana2013 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 13:46

Hi, I'm looking for brackets for shelving in the garage. I want something that is strong and durable and will last, preferably rust proof in case it gets wet from rain or anything somehow. The shelves I'm getting are stainless steel and are 3 ft. by 1 ft. I was wondering what other people have found that works well for them and maybe some don'ts as well. The brackets don't have to be all that pretty and decorative looking since they'll be in the garage. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to: Shelving for a Garage Project

So you are getting SS shelves, but they do not come with any kind of brackets to hang them? That seems a bit strange.

The bracket-and-standard system is pretty durable and flexible. The standards can be bought in various lengths and finishes, and the brackets as well. You hang the metal standard on the wall by screwing it into a stud, and put brackets wherever you want. Easy to adjust the shelf locations by moving the brackets. I'm not sure how rustproof they are, if you get the standard steel ones to match your SS shelves they may not be in very humid environments. You could always paint them first.

o
RE: How to: Shelving for a Garage Project

The biggest driver on the supports is how much weight you want the shelf to hold.

The higher the weight the clunkier looking the brackets get.

Knape & Vogt is n old line shelf standard company, with a various weight ratings and finishes.

They may look familiar because they are used in many retail displays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here