Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
24 ft ladder storage; How do you do it?

Posted by nyc_sod (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 13:38

I have a 24 ft ladder that is taking up space in my garage and seeking a storage solution. I am fortunate that I do have 15-16 ft ceilings (finished). I want to avoid having to place it along either side of the garage as I want to utilize that space for storage shelves and garden tools.

What do you folks do with your long ladders?

Thanks,
T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 24 ft ladder storage; How do you do it?

Is the 24' one section or two?

32' ladder breaks down to 16' and I hung it on L brackets on the wall under cabinets, also had a place on the fence outside with more L brackets.

o

It is an extension ladder. 2x12 ft sections.

o

Sell it and get a Little Giant, or one of the look-alikes.
Another option is to donate it to some local organization that can use it, and borrow it back when you need it.

o

I bought the inexpensive bicycle lifts on ebay for my ladders. The ladders work best hanging flat with these lifts rather than on there sides, IMO. The hooks that normally hold the handlebars or seat will catch the rungs, but to keep them centered within the wide ladder opening so the ladder wouldn't rotate and fall off, I mounted short 2x4's to the backside of the hooks . On one ladder I did modify the hooks and add some large L shelf brackets so I could hang it on its side between the 2 garage doors. Also, because most ladders are much longer than a bicyle, if using the included single rope, the ladders won't lift evenly. So I had to abandon the single rope and use separate 1/8" ropes to each pully and hook. They work like a champ. I've used these lifts for 2 bicycles, 3 ladders, a hitch platform, and a wheelbarrow. With all these lifts and their associated ropes, I ran the ropes over to the side walls in 2 locations, and for each lift mounted an eyebolt with a pulley at the ceiling/wall corner and a small rope cleat at about 6' high on the wall. This way I have 2 central locations that I can lower anything from the ceiling. I'm still finding things to hang from the ceiling so I need to order more lifts!

Pictures of my ladders, etc.:
http://www.hickoryhouse.blogspot.com/

The link below is not my endorsemnt as a sales tool, only an example of what I bought for my use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bike Lift

o

formula1-
Thanks for a great post! It looks like you are quite adept at using these lifts.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here