Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on building a garage

Posted by kathy68_og (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 13:01

We have been planning on building a detached garage for years but other things have always come first. The kids are out of college now and on their own. It's time!!
We need space for two cars, storage, and a woodworking shop. At this point we are thinking of building a gable end 28' wide by 40' deep, single story, with some storage upstairs - at least enough to house the air cleaning system for the wood shop. I've been drawing up plans for years - dreaming is free.

We live in a rural area where building costs are less than the big city but I'm sure we should brace ourselves. It can be difficult to line up a contractor as they are all busy building mini-mansions. We will need the concrete work done for us, the framing and getting a roof overhead. We can handle it from there having done siding, windows, sheetrock, etc.

Does anyone out there have advice for us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on building a garage

I am in the process of building a garage now. Mine is a single story 24'X30' with 10' walls and a 4/12 roof pitch. I had the concrete done by a contractor. The slab is monolithic and is 4" thick. The cost was 4,000.00 US. The building is wood frame with hardie board siding and a metal roof. Building materials cost 6,000.00. The cost to have the building contracted out would have been 16,000 to 20,000 but would already be done. If you want upstairs storage you will want a steeper roof pitch to allow the space.

o

jb317, can you share with us how you obtained the plans for your garage? Did you have them custom designed or did you buy them?

Thanks.

o

My husband and I are also planning a garage (we're in the DC Metro area). 3 bays and a large workshop. Our original plan called for storage space upstairs. We contacted about 10 local builders in our area. Of those who actually responded (2) the costs were out of sight. 80 - 150k!! We scaled down the plan so that there is no storage space upstairs (this increases the lumber cost) and are working as our own general contractor. We just submitted plans we bought online to the local permits dept. We estimate cost to be around 50k. We're hoping to save on some costs by buying the windows, entry door and whatever else I can find off of Craigslist or eBay.

Size 30x60, 3 bays plus workshop, 8/12 roof (matches house), detached. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here