Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener Problem

Posted by kapas (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 12:41

I have two Craftsman garage door openers (About 20 years old - doesn't have any safety devices)- one for each garage door. They have been working fine until recently. But now one of the garage door opener doesn't open or close from the button on the wall or the remote or from the "remote link" in the car. It opens and closes randomly on its own! Only consistent way it goes from close to open or open to close is when I power cycle the unit.

This gets more confusing as the other door opener works ok with the button on the wall but the remote for it behaves "strangely" - sometimes it operates that door and sometimes it operates the other one! No DIP switch settings have changed. I'll appreciate if anyone can help me understand this problem and offer a solution. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener Problem

I think it's time to upgrade to state of the art openers. The problems you describe are not run of the mill and it's anyones guess. If they are in fact 20 years old they have lasted twice the normal life expectancy of an opener. I wouldn't put money into either one.

o

Don:

Thanks. That was the first thought came to my mind too, but still am curious about what could have caused this problem. Any ideas??

o

Your problems are so weird I cannot even guess. There is absolutely nothing I can point to. Sorry.

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener Model 139.53681B Problem

I am able to open my garage with the primary controller along with the remote devices, however the only way the garage will close is if i go to the main controller and keep the button pressed until the door is completely closed. Are there any ideas as to wht the problem may be and what I may be able to do to get my openers (primary and remotes to work as designed).

R/

blkcobra007
William Brown

o

One of the sensors in the doorway has probably been bumped or has quit working. Try tweaking them until the small light on each of them comes on and is not blinking.

o

This question is for Don. I have a problem with my garage door opener. Craftsman 41a4315-7d. When I try to close the door from the wall unit, the main light will flash 10 times and the green led light will flash once or twice. The only way that I can close the door is to hold the button until it closes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

o

Your problem was handles on the Home Repairs forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here