Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help wiring a capacitor on an electirc motor

Posted by carguy00500 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 11:57

I recently bought an automotive vehicle lift from an auto repair shop. After assembling the huge lift in my garage, I started to do the easy part, and wire the 220 motor in.

Evidently sometime between someone else dissembling and me reassembling the lift, the capacitor fell off the electric motor. When it fell of, it took the black wire that ran through the inside of the motor to the switch assembly with it. And there was no second wire terminal anywhere to be found. I know the capacitor has 2 wires on it, but I dont have a clue where they go.

I am relatively confident that one of the wires ran to a power source in the switch box (based on a perfectly matched wire twisting), but the other lead attached to the capacitor has a nice shiny female wire terminal and I find no visible male place to plug it in. I am sure the motor is like a standard 220 motor like you would find on a heavy-duty compressor. I would really hate to buy a new motor simply because the capacitor fell off the motor. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help wiring a capacitor on an electirc motor

You know, taking the motor assuming it's loose, to a motor rewind place may be your best option, in around ten seconds they should be able to tell you.

If there's a recognisable brand on the motor, maybe there's a website with wiring diagrams on it?

As for the second terminal, I suspect there's a place on the motor itself for that terminal to push onto, or the cover over the cap itself - was there a cover over it? I don't know much about motor caps but the other terminal may be to ground.

Whatever you do, don't guess wildly or you WILL be buying a new motor, or worse.

I'm just jealous of someone who has their own personal hoist in their workshop :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here