Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carguy00500

Need help wiring a capacitor on an electirc motor

carguy00500
17 years ago

I recently bought an automotive vehicle lift from an auto repair shop. After assembling the huge lift in my garage, I started to do the easy part, and wire the 220 motor in.

Evidently sometime between someone else dissembling and me reassembling the lift, the capacitor fell off the electric motor. When it fell of, it took the black wire that ran through the inside of the motor to the switch assembly with it. And there was no second wire terminal anywhere to be found. I know the capacitor has 2 wires on it, but I donÂt have a clue where they go.

I am relatively confident that one of the wires ran to a power source in the switch box (based on a perfectly matched wire twisting), but the other lead attached to the capacitor has a nice shiny female wire terminal and I find no visible male place to plug it in. I am sure the motor is like a standard 220 motor like you would find on a heavy-duty compressor. I would really hate to buy a new motor simply because the capacitor fell off the motor. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Comment (1)