Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sears garage door opener codes

Posted by clem (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 11:24

Our Sears 0.5 HP garage door opener(Model# 139.53635SRT) is ~12 years old and has worked well. Recently, it "auto-reversed" itself a few times after closing completely. Per the Owner's Manual, I made a minor adjustment to the "down force", did the 1" board "safety reverse system" check and all seemed well in our world. One morning a few days later, when the light inside the garage was still dim, I happened to notice that the green light on the back of the opener is blinking in a repeating series -- 5 blinks -- pause -- 5 blinks, etc. This continues door up or door down. Otherwise the system seems to be operating normally. Can anyone decode the 5 blinks? The only thing I can find in the owner's manual is that if "THE DOOR REVERSES FOR NO APPARENT REASON AND OPENER LIGHT BLINKS FOR 5 SECONDS AFTER REVERSING": CHECK THE SAFETY REVERSING SENSOR - - . Can't see that I've got a problem.there. Meanwhile (just went out and checked again) the thing continues to generate this non-ending series of 5 blinks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sears garage door opener codes

According to my Chamberlain "cheat sheet" for field use, 5 blinks of the LED light on the motor head means....

"Possible RPM sensor failure/Motor Overheated - unplug to reset."

1st things 1st - just unplug the machine for 10 seconds, then plug it back it. Sometimes garage door openers are like computers and other electronics - they just need to be re-booted to clear the system out. Do that and then count the number of blinks (if any) and let me know.

o

You're right on target. In my original post I forgot to mention that I had experienced an "overheat" disconnect during the rigging process. I followed the owner's manual direction (wait 15 minutes and try again) and the opener operated fine. Didn't notice blinking light at that time. Manual does not provide code breakdown nor say to unplug unit to clear. I did just that and the thing is working fine with no blinking lights. Thanks again.

o

I think too much information can be dangerous for some. Technical people like ourselves prefer to solve problems on our own - give us the tools and the knowledge and we're fine.

For others, too much information can be overwhelming and cause more problems than it does fix.

Glad I was able to help and that you were able to get your machine back to normal. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here