Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perfesser_gw

Craftsman Chamberlain 1993 opener

perfesser
14 years ago

After a lightning strike it stopped working. Dead electric eyes, so I replaced them. Now both sender and receiver lights on, but opener still wouldn't work - completely dead from both wall and remote. Not even a relay click, but still 5 flash error message. Replaced logic board. Now there is a relay click followed immediately by a loud click from motor and 5 flash message, but nothing else. Tested motor from a separate power supply and it worked fine, both up and down.

Current status: door fully up (limit switch contacting up limit.) Chain is off. When I activate, the motor starts to run in the up direction (!) and immediately cuts out, followed by the same old 5 flash error message.

My conjecture now is that there is a partial short in the up winding. Logic board senses the motor is drawing too much current (can it do that?) and, thinking the door has hit an obstruction, it reverses the motor. Since the door is already fully up, it cuts out. Sound reasonable? Should I now replace the motor?

Comments (2)