Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door won't close with remote for 2 minutes

Posted by redglare (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 23:52

Please excuse yet another garage door question. I have read through the forums, but my problem is slightly different. Using the remote I can open the overhead garage door, but cannot close it with the remote for a couple of minutes. The wall switch will work, but to use the remote I have to wait a couple of minutes.
The unit has been in for 10 years. The sensors are clean, adjusted and are solid green. The opener makes no noises at all. All I have to do is wait two minutes then the remote works again.
The symptoms happen regardless of night or day, cool or warm outside.
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door won't close with remote for 2 minutes

Have your changed the battery in the remote?

o

Yes, I replaced the batteries in both remotes. I also wanted to add that the door operates smoothly and does not bind. Thanks.

o

If the same thing is happening with two different remotes, that pretty much leaves the receiver that is part of the logic board. It is likely a failed or marginal component is causing the problem. Repair would not be cost effective for a ten year old system.

One outside possibility is interference from something that is triggered when the door is opened. If you have something that gets turned on or responds in any way when the door is opened or movement is sensed in the garage, then investigate that device by disabling it while trying the door again.

Possible candidates are fluorescent lights, some kinds of wired motion detectors, any wireless motion detector, and any alarm system that transmits radio signals on any frequency.

Other than that, it's probably time for a new unit.

o

Thanks for your help creek side. No new electronics (lights, alarms, etc.) have been added to the garage. I even turned off all power except for the door opener, but no luck.
I finally gave up and bought a new one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here