Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garylowe_gw

Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener #9-53985

GaryLowe
9 years ago

I have a 9-53985 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener. Up until a month ago the opener worked fine, but within the last month or so, it starts to open or close and stops, everything is dead, acts like no electricity is getting to the drive unit, lights are off, even the wireless remote switch green light is out. If I tap on the side of the drive, the light comes on and the green light on the wireless remote is on, and at that point it may or may not open or close the door all the way before it stops completely dead again. Tapping on the side of the drive unit results in the light coming on and the wireless remote light is green. All of the 110v power cords are perfect, no issues, and the safety
"eyes" are clean and functioning. Could a PC board be loose or a wire somewhere not making good contact? Help!! I bought the unit because it's a Craftsman and Sears Craftsman has a good reputation, but now I'm not so sure. Warranty is out, but it's only 1.5 years old. I have Chamberlain and Stanley openers that have worked perfect for 15-20 years without any issues.