Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maj_d

Craftsman garage door opener key pad problem

maj_d
17 years ago

I have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage door opener that is about nine years old. It worked fine until a month ago. The first thing i noticed was the wireless keypad quit working. Changed the battery and it still would not work. Another thing i noticed was that, even tho the sensor beams were operable (green light on), the light on the motor did not come on when i walked in the garage breaking the beam. Nor did i hear the relay clicking as before. Is this and the keypad problem related? All other functions of the opener, including the light (when the door opens)and remotes work ok. What is the fix?

Comments (7)

• Don_
    17 years ago

I would try reprogramming the keypad first. You can do this by pressing and immediately releasing the smart/learn button and then walking over to your keypad and key in your 4 digit code and press enter. You can also hold the light button on your wall control for 10 seconds. This will toggle off and on the function for the light coming on when you walk through the sensor beam.

• maj_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tried that, even the method of using a partner at the wall pad. What the outside keypad did was start blinking several times and then went out. Still did not work. Any ideas why the sensor doesnt trip the light on when the beam is broken?

Thanks

• Don_
    17 years ago

Did you try holding the light button in on the wall control for 10 seconds to see if this would toggle the function for the light to go on when you walk through the door? I have a hunch the two problems are related but they normally have nothing in common. Have you had lightning storms recently?

• maj_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will try the the 10 second suggestion. Yes we had some lightening storms a few weeks ago. You think it got zapped?

• Don_
    17 years ago

You have an unusual problem but lightning does weird things.

• maj_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tried the 10 second hold on the light button. No go. This weekend I will try tracing the wires from motor to the sensors and see if there may be a short.

• maj_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I ran the bell wire from the motor to the sensors and to the wall mount control. Did not see any breaks. Removed the sensors and examined, then placed back and aligned the beams. Everything works (wall mount control, hand helds)the beams when broken stop the door. Everything except the outside wireless entry pad and the sensor switch when you walk through the open door that turns on the light. I think now it must be something in the logic board. Perhaps lightening zapped it and knocked out the above. For now now I will live with everything else that works. Once something else goes haywire, then I figure it will be time to replace the logic board or the whole unit. Thanks for the help.