Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door opening/closing on it's own

Posted by bhpreston2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 19:54

I have an "Overhead Door". When the electricity goes out, the door opens and stays open until the electricity comes back on. The door opens whenever it wants to, but I have to shut off the power to the garage (via the circuit box), then turn it back on, then close the door by remote or button on the wall. I also noticed that one of the senor lights is green, while the other one is red. Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door opening/closing on it's own

if it opens when power goes out it has a battery backup. if it closes via the remote, teh sensors are fine. some are both green, some are different colors.

what is the model of the opener?

o
RE: Garage door opening/closing on it's own

Just to confirm, do you have an "Overhead Door Company" BRAND machine? Or an "Overhead Door" garage door? Or are you perhaps using that term loosely?

May seem like redundant questions, but many people assume the brand of door and the machine are one of the same when most often, they are not. And the term "overhead" is commonly used to describe the position of the opener/door when in fact the brand of equipment could be Liftmaster, Craftsman, Genie, Clopay, Wayne Dalton, Holmes, etc.

I am not aware of any Overhead Door Company brand machines that are equipped with an optional battery backup system.

Just to confirm, are you saying that when the power goes out (either because of a failure or you manually shut the power off to the house) the door automatically opens all by itself? If so, what happens when you unplug the machine from the ceiling?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here