Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door won't close .

Posted by mcaji (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 13:25

I have a craftsman garage door opener probably 8 years old. It doesn't close now. When I turn on the control I can hear the motor and then shut down. I tried to adjust the down force but nothing happened. I don't see any obstruction. Is the sensor has something to do with it? I am now manually closing the garage door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door won't close .

Take a look at the trolley and see if it is jammed against the bolt just in front of the motor unit. If it is, loosen the chain to release the tension from the trolley and then run the opener until the door closes. While the door is closed locate the 'up limit' on the side of the motor unit and turn this control 2 full turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Tighten the chain and put the down force adjustment back where it was.

o

Hi Don, The door is already disengage and the chain is already removed from the motor gear. Now the only thing that I hear when I turn on the control are clicking sound and then stop. I am thinking the motor is jammed. Need your expert opinion. Have a nice day!!!

o

Pull the logic board and check for loose or missing traces on the printed circuit.

o

I check the sensor and one is not lighted, adjusted it and now it is working. I should have check the sensors first which I normally do but for some reason I didn't. Thanks Don for replying. Have a wonderful day!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here