Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing GDO box (motor) only. Which one?

Posted by v1rok (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 13:02

It appears that my LiftMaster chain-driven 1/2HP GDO circa 1999 is dying. (See my post a few lines below.) Looks like the problem is with the motor. It might be just easier to buy a new box and attach it to the existing assembly. The chain, the drive, the springs appear to be in very good shape -- I don't see a reson to replace them.

Can I just buy any LiftMaster/Sears/Chamberlain chain-driven motor (the whole box you attach up to the garage ceiling) and put it in place of the old one? I am wondering if the chain connection to the motor would be compatible? Are they pretty much standard for this manufacturer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing GDO box (motor) only. Which one?

There have been a few changes and I think the biggest one is the t-rail has been changed to a channel. I'm not sure this is true in all models and you will need to do some checking. I would opt for a new opener. The installation of a door opener is pretty simple if you follow the instructions word for word in the owners manual. It also gives you some valuable experience with the adjustments, what they do and how important they are. I hope you consider this option.

o
RE: Replacing GDO box (motor) only. Which one?

have you verified that something isn't wrong with the door or the springs that is causing the opener to act up?. With the opener detached from the door, does the door move freely and stay in a half open position by itself?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here