Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Floor Joist for Garage with apartment above

Posted by kevhm (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 13:00

I am considering building a 28' X 30' Garage with an apartment above it. I am wanting to build it with no poles in the bottom so the whole garage is open. What is the best thing to use on the ceiling joists which will also be the apartment floor joists. One of my friends that builds said he would recommend the OSB I beam joists. I just wasn't sure if that would be better or if it would be better to put in a beam down the middle. Any opinions on this or maybe how you did yours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Floor Joist for Garage with apartment above

I would recommend the same thing (engineered wood i-joists). You could span the entire garage with these. You could reduce the depth of the joists (thereby reducing the cost of material) by installing a beam at the midpoint. But then you have the added cost of the beam and labor to install a beam, whether it be wood or steel. Check with your lumberyard and see what the difference in material cost is. Also, verify whether a beam would be feasable, based on your design.

o
RE: Best Floor Joist for Garage with apartment above

You might also want to keep in mind that a large beam may keep you from installing automatic door openers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here