Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nails poking out in ceiling of storage bldg.

Posted by love2gardenn (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 12:49

Just got a storage building and there are a gazillion nails sticking out ( down) on the inside of the ceiling, I guess from hammering the shingles down .
Question is : I hammered a few of the nails down sideways in order to get the points flush with the ceiling.
In doing so it appears to have made those nails loose.
Will this cause any leakage when it rains and if so, what should I do now to prevent the such?

Thank you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nails poking out in ceiling of storage bldg.

leave them be. roofing nails are not that long, and hammering them sideways CAN cause leaks/loose shingles. best thing is if the roof is low enough that they may cause you injury, then get a few sheets of ply wood/particle board and nail up for a ceiling. just the cheapest thinnest stuff you can get, no need for major expense!

o

ok, thank you so very much. I guess now the thing to do would be to silicone or caulk around those loose nails ( on the inside?) then go with the sheets of ply wood/paricle board?

o

no need to seal them on the inside. if you did any real damage you should be able to see it by looking outside at the shingles. siliconing them on the inside would still leak IF they are hurt. as long as the shingles are still down tight and no heads bacjed thru them, you should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here