Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Issues

Posted by mondo (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 12:26

Need some advice as I am not real handy.

Garage door (metal) is 20 years old and needs painting. I washed it with powerwasher and it took some paint off, now looks bad. What paint to use for metal door? Do I need to get all the original paint off? Do I need to use a primer?

Also, need to replace the rubber seal, is it best to nail, screw or staple this to the door?

Also have some water coming up in an area on the cement floor evidently from high ground water or a spring. Just gets damp from time to time. What should I use to seal this?

Boy, that is a lot of garage issues!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Issues

Hi Mondo,

An acrylic enamel (water-based) would work best for you and this situation. All loose/flaking paint should be removed, but it is not necessary to remove all paint. If the old paint is thick, you may want to use some fine sandpaper and feather the edges for a smooth finish. If the old paint is glossy, use fine sandpaper to de-gloss it. Water should not bead on it, if it does, the new paint will not stick. As far as the damp area on the floor, are you sure there is no plumbing running in or near that area? If not, you may check into a product I use with tile called RedGuard. There are also a few other products for sealing basements, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here