Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door maintanence

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 11:43

Its been almost 2 years since we moved into our 20 year old home. We have 2 garage door openers. One make a nasty sound when opened and closed though it has not gotten better or worse and everything functions correctly. These are chain driven by OHD company. I was wondering if there is some sort of maint that should be performed periodically? I asked a neighbor who said to stay away from the 'well' visit services offered. He said they charged him for a well visit and left him with $100 in suggested parts and labor plus a quote for a new opener on the one side. He said that was 5 years ago, he did NOTHING and every thing is still working.

What should I do, reccomendations etc etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door maintanence

There isn't anything that doesn't require occasional maintenance. Even cleaning out from under the refrigerator. Home Depot or Lowes has a lubrication kit in their door opener department that I use. That and a can of silicone spray for the rollers and hinges on the door. Just please don't grease the tracks as so many people do. That is like greasing your car tires only worse.

o
also

Almost forgot. Here is a website with some useful info and some warnings.

www.checkthishouse.com/garage-door-opener-safety-manual-bottom-line.html.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here