Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help picking siding color for new garage?!?

Posted by dakotalover (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 11:38

We have a log home, and we are building a new detached garage. The home is stained a darker red cedar color with green trim/windows and a tan roof. I am having trouble trying to pick a siding color. We decided to go James hardie or a cement siding for easy maintenance. We were considering going a countrylane red with beige trim/garage door (a barn look), but I am concerned about it being too overwhelming. Any ideas or photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help picking siding color for new garage?!?

I love log homes! Why aren't you building a log garage?

I'm certainly no expert but have you considered painting the garage the same color as the trim on your house? It seems like red siding might look like you were trying to color match the dark red cedar but failed since they're completely different materials. On the other hand, the reds might actually compliment each other. What do I know?

You may want to post this on the decorating forum too. It's a very active forum and folks there are very helpful with both interior and exterior design. In fact, if you can post a photo of the garage (or a model) on the decorating forum, someone there will probably Photoshop different colors onto it for you, which is really helpful.

o
RE: Need Help picking siding color for new garage?!?

Thanks for your post. We looked at a log garage, but want something w/out the upkeep like our house and deck have (restaining every few years). That's why we turned to the cement board. Unfortunately our home has years of stain on it and is not an exact color match to what I can get, so I think I would have trouble matching the stain exactly and none of the prestained cement boards match either. Since it is a detached, that is why I was looking at going something different, but am having trouble deciding. How do I post a picture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here