Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adjustment Question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 11:20

for 2 years I lived with this and I figure I should take a look to see if I can do something. One of our OverHead garage door openers (10+ years old..???...maybe more) makes a thud...thud...thud noise as it opens / closes. I can not really tell where the noise is coming from. From outside, when the affected door starts to open, it looks like one side of the door sort of starts going up first...or one side it sticking...I think one side just starts before the other.

Any ideas what to adjust?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adjustment Question

I would take a close look at the door rollers. Sounds like it could be a flat spot or bad bearings. They need periodic maintenance and are easily overlooked.

o
RE: Adjustment Question

If the door in on an electric opener, disconnect the opener and slowly open the door by hand. If you had a helper to watch the rollers and track, that would be very helpful. Could be something sticking, bad roller, the track could be bent, or the springs might need adjustment or replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here