Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door width

Posted by dunceatthis (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 9:58

I have an area 13x 31 to build a garage. I would like the garage to be that entire size, but I want a garage door as wide as possible. Could I get by with a 9 ft door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door width

is the 13ft inside or outside dimension? if outside with a single door you can get up to about 11 ft or so to account for the walls(if framed not block) and the door mounts. if it is inside dimensions then you can go at least 12 ft. i have not sized doors lately, so not sure if that is a standard size or not. my doors on my house are not much over 8 ft each and my Dodge 1500 4x4 just manages to get thru with about 2-3 inches per side mirror clearance.

one mistake people make is not making the door HIGH enough. my truck is factory height and i have 3" clearance for the roof coming thru teh door. i see vehicles parked inthe drive around here alot due to garage doors being too low to get a factory height SUV or minivan in there!

o
RE: Garage door width

This sounds like a custom job, are you going to be the one installing the garage door? If you don't have much expertise you are better off calling a local garage door company, that way you will save yourself some time and money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Doors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here