Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Torsion Springs

Posted by auggief (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 4:13

I have an 18 ft door with two springs. Whne one broke I had a company come out and repalce both springs. He also replaces some worn hinges. Ever since the door catches and makes cracking noises when going up or down. I measured the new springs and one is 36" and the other is 33". Did he put in incorrect springs which have the door in a bind?
Shouldn't they be the same length when measured in the door closed position?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Torsion Springs

I like to see the same size spring on each side, however some manufactures actually install two different size springs not only in wire size but, also length. Springs are measured in Inches of Pressure Per Turn (IPPT) We use this to convert springs usually to bigger wire size( going down in wire size decreases life cycles ). As long as the Technician got the IPPT's right you should be ok. I don't think the 3 inches in length is going to reduce the life cycles very much. I would bet that the shorter spring is one wire size down from the longer spring. Again I like to see the same size spring however it is not mandatory.

#1 Check to see if the door is balanced. Disconnect the door from the opener and see if it stays on the ground.

#2 Raise the door half way up and it should stay there and not go one way or another.

#3 Raise the door all the way up it should stay in the up position by itself.

If the door is heavy to lift or does not stay in all three of these positions get them back out there.

I would get them back out there for the noise your hearing anyway it should be covered under warranty. The noise your hearing could be the springs are not lubricated and are popping as they unwind or misaligned hinges.

Check out what I told you to and take it from there. Let me know what you find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here