Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door after repair

Posted by intravino (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 1:17

Hello,

I need your help!

I replaced both springs on my uncle's garage door and now the garage door opener does close completely the door. There's always a small opening at the bottom.

What do you guys thing it is?

I played with the adjustments of the garage door opener and nothing helped.

Thanks for your Time,

Intravino

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door after repair

Did you use the right springs? They come in different weight ratings.

What happens when you disconnect the opener? Does the door function correctly?

o

Yes I did use the right springs, some rating as the old one.

I did not disconnect the opener.

Lets say it does the same without the opener, it means that the spring tension is not the same on each side?

Thanks

o

If the small opening at the bottom is the same all the way across the door it may just be the 'down limit control.' This is on the side of the motor unit and takes a small screwdriver. Turn the control in the direction of the arrow printed on the cover. If you go too far the door will bump the floor and reverse to the open position. It may take a little tweaking to get it right. Also remember if you run the motor too much the thermal protector will turn it off and you will have to wait about 15 minutes for it to reset.

o

You should start the diagnosis with the opener disconnected. That allows you to figure out if the problem is with the door or the opener. As Don mentioned you may need to adjust the down limit on the opener. It's reasonable to assume that new springs are a little stronger than the old ones.

o

It is my uncle's Garage.

Anyways, He told me that he took off the opener, and he cannot close the door manually.

Does that mean that I put the spring tension too high?

Thanks,

o

It probably does. You need to adjust the springs so when you raise the door to approximately waist high it will stay there.

o

Thanks Don,

I will readjust the spring tension.

Bye,

Intravino

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here