Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pulling Pole Barn Nails

Posted by knick (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 23:27

Anyone have any good Ideas for pulling nails on a steel roof on a pole barn? Want to pull nails and replace with screws. would like something that may work standing up right. I have to pull 11,000 of them so I need something efficient!

Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pulling Pole Barn Nails

There are a number of nail puller bars on the market, I saw at least a half-dozen different ones at Sears. I'd look for one with a tapering width at the nose that can be hammered down to get under the nail head.
In my experience, pole barns are frequently made with green lumber and galvaiized ribbed nails, making nail removal very difficult. I'd be prepared for many of the nail heads to break off before the nail comes out.

o
RE: pulling Pole Barn Nails

If you have access to the underside using a jack to give the panels a little lift makes the job much easier and reduces the damage on the panels. Just a light weight jack and a 2x notched in certain areas to provide support next to the rafters.

Us a couple of C clamps to hold the 2x in place to make it easier snug enough so it doesn't fall. The jack will still be able to lift it the 1//4 to 1/2" you will need to make it easier to grab the head with the puller.

My question would be why do you need to do this? Did someone use aluminum roofing nails on a steel panel or something? Can you just add some self tapping screws if it just needs to be fastened more securely?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here