Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2hp GDO - Only 1 transmitter works

Posted by jbptlp1969 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 22:41

I will summarize as brief as I can. I inherited a 1/2 horspower Craftsman GDO and 3 transmitters (Mine, Wife's, Spare) - model# 139.53681B from the previous owner and of course there is no owners manual.

Everything has functioned perfectly for 3 years until 2 days ago. One transmitter stopped working (mine). Thinking the battery needed to be replaced, I purchased a new one. This did nothing to correct the issue. The LED is not responding when any of the buttons are pressed.

So, I tried the spare transmitter. The LED does recognize a button is pressed but when I program it (according to the directions printed on the back of the unit), it still will not respond.

I erased the codes (by holding in the button for over 6 seconds). I was able to reprogram my wife's transmitter without any issue but the spare still will not respond.

So I am left with one transmitter that works just like before (wife's), the spare which the GDO LED recognizes but will not program and mine which is now not gettting any response from the LED and thus cannot be programmed.

I apologize for the length but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2hp GDO - Only 1 transmitter works

The fact that your wifes remote still works shows that the receiver is working. I think your transmitter just quit working. I would take that model number and buy a new one.

o

Don,

Thanks for the input. I have 1 quick follow up question...

I have read in other postings about replacing originals with "unverisal" transmitters. Is that an option, or is the original transmitter much preferred?

Thanks for your assistance

o

I am really relunctant to recommend universal replacements. There are many versions and it is so easy to get something that complicates things. I would spend the extra money and get the real thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here