Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I tell if GARAGE door is insulated?

Posted by dabunch (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 22:39

Someone please explain in non-technical terms how I can tell if my garage door is insulated by just looking at it?
Please tell me in detail, the difference between the outside looks of insulated & uninsulated doors. Are there screws, lines, layers that I can see looking at the door, without cutting a cross section?

We moved into new construction 3 months ago. The contrat called for insulated doors,but you never know. The builder loves to cut corners. The garage was ok. It was a bit cold.
Now it seems to be hot. We haven't even had any real hot days this summer. If outside is 87, the car in the garage shows 102 degrees.

Cripe my alarm will go off at 120 degrees in the garage. If our temps outside go any higher, it will be a problem

The walls are insulated with R-13, I believe.
I know it's not a tight seal around the doors....but please.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I tell if GARAGE door is insulated?

If you look at the inside of door it will look like styrofoam ( have no idea how to spell that ) is in between all those silver bars your hinges attach to. (otherwise known as stiles) It will be white and flat. If you can see the panel design from inside and outside the garage then the door is not insulated. If it is an insulated door you should only be able to see the panel design from the outside.

o
RE: How can I tell if GARAGE door is insulated?

Doorguy-
Thanks for your help.

The door IS insulated. I guess we better have it sealed better or something to keep the heat out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here