Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling too high for garage door

Posted by mspeg1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 22:08

I bought a garage door that is 7 feet tall. My garage ceiling is 8'4" from the floor. I cannot exchange the door. How can I lower the ceiling to accomodate the door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling too high for garage door

actually that sounds abotu right, the ceiling must be higher in order to accomodate the tracks and opener. the actual door opening is all that must be the same height as the door, and that is done by trimming it out.

o

Hang the tracks and opener motor with angle iron from the ceiling. Ceiling could be 15' if you had enough angle iron. :)

o

LOL yes, as long as the opening is right (and it usually has to be slightly oversized, if you can't return the door, you may as well open the instructions and see what it says about the opening size and what calculations you need to make...

You will need, as terps02 said, angle iron/dexion/l-shaped slotted/drilled metal strips. Just like any garage ceiling you've probably seen, you use these to suspend and mount the door opening rails. They will not go much higher than the door opening, as the door needs to end up horizontal when it's fully open.

You could probably mount the thing using wood, too, but I've never seen anyone do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here