Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door Opener Light Turns ON& Off Randomly

Posted by valley_view_rob (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 21:31

I have a Sears 414315-7A garage door opener built 03/95. The light on the opener will turn on for a few minutes, and then turn off - seemingly at random. Sometimes it stays on and the only way to shut it of is to open and close the door. When the door is opened, the light might shut off in 10 minutes or just stay on.

Everything else is fine. Door opens & closes properly and works from keypad, cars, and the wall switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door Opener Light Turns ON& Off Randomly

I would try the following:

Kill the power to the unit completely. Leave it off for about five minutes, then plug it back in. This will cause the microprocessor on the logic board to reboot. It might clear the problem.

If that doesn't work, I would put in a new light bulb or bulbs, as the case may be. I know that sounds weird, but trust me, I have a reason for the suggestion.

At least some of the Sears openers use electronics to directly control the lamp(s), instead of using a relay. That means the bulb's filaments are part of a circuit. It is remotely possible that some abnormal characteristic of the bulb is causing issues for the circuitry.

It's a long shot, but it doesn't take much effort to give it a try.

If neither of those work, you are probably looking at a flaky logic board. If that's the case, it will have to be replace. You can usually order one over the Internet for $60 - $70.

Buying a whole new unit might be a better deal when Sears has them on sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here