Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears/Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Posted by fred2006 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 21:19

I have just replaced the chain drive gear and sprocket assembly (plastic gears were stripped)as per the instructions with the carriage and limits in the down position. When I plugged the unit in the motor want's to drive in the down rotation, I tried changing the limit switch to the up position but the motor only wants to rotate in the down rotation. I believe this may have been the problem that caused the gears to strip. Any ideas?? circuit board or ????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears/Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Loosen and remove the chain from the sprocket. Run the opener until the sprocket turns in the clockwise direction and stops. Replace and tighten the chain and try it. You will probably have to adjust the up and down limits a bit. Let me know.

o

I did that but it drives in the down position and takes the limit switch to the end of it's travel so that it falls off it's threaded rod.

o

Are you sure all the wires are connected on the limit switch assembly. There are three wires. The brown wire goes to the down contact. The grey wire goes to the center limit contact and the yellow wire goes to the up contact. You might also try cleaning those contacts where they touch each other.

o

All the wires are connected and the contacts are clean.

o

Found the problem, removed the printed circuit board and took the covers off the relays, the down relay had stuck contacts. FIXED IT ,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here