Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman vs Overhead Door Opener

Posted by kabergs (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 21:07

We're at the final stages of building our house and our builder has offered to install Overhead Door Belt Driven openers for $495 a piece. I've noticed that Sears offers the Craftsman belt driven openers for $219 plus $120 intallation for my area. With a three car garage that is a savings of about $480. Granted the convenience of having the builder coordinate everything is worth some money, but are the Overhead Door openers that much better? My gut tells me they are, based on nothing but instinct and seeing quite a few posts with "Craftsman Problems" lately.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman vs Overhead Door Opener

My garage doors were recently installed by a local professional door company. We'll have the openers put in after the drywalling is complete, but their belt-drive Chamberlain openers installed are $289 each, for a total of $867 on my 3 doors, so I suggest you just do some shopping around. I've also noticed the extreme number of Craftsman posts and have wondered if it's due to low quality of the openers or poor installation by homeowners.

o

"I've also noticed the extreme number of Craftsman posts and have wondered if it's due to low quality of the openers or poor installation by homeowners."

I have too, but I've also wondered what craftsman's market share is - I mean, after all, if they've got an 80% market share, it would stand to reason that they should have 80% of the complaints too.

I have a Genie and its been flawless.

o

Craftsman garage door openers are manufactured by Chamberlain. Sears doesn't post their share of market but believe me it is huge. Chamberlain is the worlds largest manufacturer of door openers and it is because of Sears. Overhead Doors and Genie openers are manufactured by Sanwa Shutter Company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here