Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Work Bench top

Posted by marciagaye (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 19:13

My husband is thinking about redoing his workshop....which is in the garage. What material would you suggest for the top of the bench that can take a lot of abuse? I know laminates can't take the abuse. I also know that Maple is very hard....any suggestions or advise on what to stay away from. Right now his bench is 12 ft and turns to make a L and the short section is 4 ft.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Work Bench top

old bowling alley? The lane near me sells used bowling alleys by the foot. I would think those would make a good surface!

o

have you given any thought of using a plaster cored door ( fire proof door) ?

I am a retired hospital maintenance man and during our many construction projects these type of doors were thrown out by the dozens... you will not find a better bench top for free.

hospitals are constantly under construction check with the hospital plant operations manager or the contractor doing the project and i would bet that you could get all you wanted for the asking....................

o

What a great idea to recycle an old fire door! That's a page I'll be borrowing out of your book.

Thanks for that!!

o

i have always just used 3/4" plywood. a true workbench should have scars. if someone wants one that will forever look like it is on a showroom floor, then they ain't using it right!

for looks i would go with stainless steel if money is not an issue. any type of laminate/composite/etc jsut won't hold up to the beating and banging of a workbench.

o

I use solid core doors (new or used) for the top, then slip a piece of masonite over it. You can periodically replace the masonite at low cost.

o

It really depends upon what your primary activity is. I'd have different recommendations for rebuilding transmissions, fine woodwork, pottery, or welding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here